Other Ways to Give

The most common method of giving is from your income stream.  While cash gifts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated, they are not the only way to support our efforts.  As with all legal and financial matters, Chelan-Douglas CASA recommends that donors consult with their personal legal, tax, and financial advisors before funding a gift.

Bequest Through Your Will

A bequest to Chelan-Douglas CASA is one of the most effective and simplest ways to make a lasting impact on the lives of vulnerable children.  You may specify a specific amount or a percentage you wish to give to Chelan-Douglas CASA.  If you would like to make such a gift, you may include language similar to the following:

“I, [name], of [city, state, zip code], give, devise and bequeath to Chelan-Douglas County CASA/GAL Program, a Washington nonprofit public benefit corporation having its principal office at 431 Douglas Street, Wentatchee, WA 98801, [written amount or percentage of the estate or description of property] to be used for the furtherance of its charitable purposes in the discretion and at the direction of its board of directors for its unrestricted use and purpose.”

If you are considering making a gift by bequest, please meet with your attorney to discuss the ramifications and, if appropriate, update your will.

Giving Retirement Funds and Insurance Policies

If you would like to create a legacy for children but do not wish to write a will, you can name Chelan-Douglas CASA Program as beneficiary of your retirement account or life insurance policy.

  1. Retirement account:  You can have a positive impact on children far into the future by naming Chelan-Douglas CASA as beneficiary or contingent beneficiary of an IRA, 401(k), 403(b) or other retirement account.  Please consult with your financial planner or attorney regarding considerations when making this type of gift.
  2. Insurance policies:  Life insurance may be used to create a legacy by naming Chelan-Douglas CASA as beneficiary or contingent beneficiary of the policy.  This requires that you complete a change of beneficiary form with your insurance company.  You do not have to work with an attorney or an accountant to make this type of gift.

Charitable IRA Rollover

Did you know you can transfer funds directly from a traditional or Roth IRA to Chelan-Douglas CASA, avoid having to report the distribution as income, and have an immediate impact on children who have been abused and/or neglected.

On December 18, 2015, the President signed congressional legislation to permanently extend the IRA Charitable Rollover.  If you’re 70 1/2 or older, this may provide a way to make a meaningful gift to Chelan-Douglas CASA, reduce your overall tax burden, and take care of your annual required minimum distribution.

How It Works

If you are 70 1/2 or older, you may transfer up to $100,000 per year directly from your traditional IRA to a qualified charity, like Chelan-Douglas CASA.  If your spouse has a separate IRA, he or she is also eligible to make a charitable IRA rollover gift.  The amount of the transfer will not be included in your taxable income, and the transferred amount counts toward the IRA’s required minimum distribution.

Making Your Gift

  • Talk to your financial and tax advisors to determine whether the charitable IRA rollover is the right option for you.
  • Contact your IRA custodian and instruct them to make a distribution directly to Chelan-Douglas CASA.
  • Provide your IRA custodian with our Tax ID Number, 91-1643408, and contact information (below).
  • Notify Chelan-Douglas CASA that your gift is on the way.

Chelan-Douglas CASA Program
PO Box 2027
Wenatchee, WA  98807

Questions? Please contact our office at info@cdcasa.org or 509.662.7350.